Castle Green Hotel opened in December 1997 but the building itself dates back to 1847, when Thompson Bindloss, a Kendal Ironmonger bought the site for £3450. He built the house which today forms the Business and Training Centre and the executive bedrooms. He left the house to his nephew, William Bindloss, who was Kendal’s Mayor six times. When William died, he donated the house to the Borough of Kendal in his will in 1895. The house was sold and the proceeds were used to extend the Town Hall and to build the clock tower, which is a feature of Kendal today.
Between 1949 and 1995 the house was owned the Electricity Board as their area offices and around 300 local people worked in the building. James and Catherine Alexander, previously owners of the Grange Hotel in Grange-over-Sands, bought the property in 1995 and had the vision to convert and extend it into a perfect hotel for Kendal. James and Catherine are the sole shareholders of the Castle Green Hotel and are proud that once again more than one hundred people are employed here.
Our team of staff are Castle Green Hotel’s best asset and the friendliness and professionalism of the team is commended time and time again by our guests. Over the years we have created a good working environment and ensure that our staff feel valued and enjoy coming to work. We have been ‘Investors in People’ since 1999 and were one of the first hotels in the country to achieve the ‘work life balance’ standard. Individuals and departments have won regional awards over the years for their skills in cooking and hospitality. We have over 40 members of staff in our ‘Five Year Club’ – around 30% of the team and host our ‘Five Year Club Dinner’ annually at the beginning of December.
Independent and family run, we always offer a traditional Lake District welcome and look forward to welcoming you soon.